Sunday, April 13, 2008

Shadow's Possesiveness



Shadow has quite a bit of possessive behavior, which is one of the biggest reasons she is here. Her possessiveness is not toward humans, but towards other dogs. She has shown that quite of few times over the several days she has been her. I am currently working on her aggression and this problem. She has been a bit of a finicky eater but will guard her food when other dogs are around. She has charged a couple of times at our dogs when guarding her food. We are now working very hard to correct this behavior. When she becomes aggressive at another dog for being near her and her food, I give her a light stim and then take her food away and give it to the other dog. The other dog will take a few bites and I return the food to Shadow and tell her to "eat it". Anytime she stare, snarls, growls or charges at the other dog, I repeat the stim and give the other dog some of Shadow's food. This is teaching Shadow that I am in control of her food and I can take it away. It is not hers to guard, it is there to eat. This is an exercise that will take some time, but I feel that we are making some progress.