Thursday, May 28, 2009

Tucker in Training






Tucker is a very sweet boy but one that lives up to his bulldog breeding. He has a very strong will and a mind of his own. The last several days we have been feeling each other out. He has not been very willing to participate in learning to follow me on a leash. When he is walking, according to him, it is "his" time and he could care less about anything but what HE wants to do. Well that is changing. To help facilitate some of that change, I added hot dogs to training session today. That created a whole new willing participant in Tucker. As we go along, the hot dogs will be weened out, but for now, it helps him to understand what I am asking him to do as well as giving him a willingness to care what I am asking. :-) Today we saw much progress. He will follow me around the yard dragging a long line. He is also learning to sit when we come to a stop. Over the last several days we have also worked on his "place" command, sit and sit-stay, as well as sitting at the door to come in or go out. I was very pleased with Tucker's progress today and I expect more from him in the coming days.