Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Thor and Jessie Off-Leash






Thor and Jessie are now training off-leash. I can put one dog in a stay or on their "place" and work with the other dog. I can also heel with both dogs at my side, although Thor will sometimes want to move to my right side because Jessie crowds my left. Nevertheless, they are both walking at my side without the constraint of leashes. They have also been around Mara and Athos, our two German Shepherds during their training. They are learning that they must do as I ask even if the other dogs are out and running around. Thor and Jessie are also sitting and waiting at the door before I let them come in the house or go outside. Overall, they are doing well with their obedience. The biggest challenge you will have when they come home is to prevent them from becoming confused by the stimulation since they are used to being on an invisible fence at home. Guiding them with body language and then additionally with the leash will help with re-enforcing your training at home.